[squeak-dev] I Want Keith Hodges Banned

Ken G. Brown kbrown at mac.com
Wed Feb 17 18:35:46 UTC 2010

At 7:53 PM -0500 2/16/10, Chris Cunnington apparently wrote:
>I think it's time.
>
>This is a Google Talk called:
>
>How Open Source Projects Survive Poisonous People
>

><http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFDm3UYkeE>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFDm3UYkeE
>
>It's not that Keith is calling Germans dictators, which makes me ill.

It certainly isn't. If you will check your 'who said what, I believe you will find:

it wasn't Keith calling Germans Dictators,

Keith said:
"In case you were not aware, some current board members believe that this is a dictatorship and that this is how things are supposed to be run."

It was Randal Schwartz, a board member, stating on #squeak irc that:
"16:58:07 <RandalSchwartz> at some point, it's a dictatorship.  perhaps you never liked that."

> It's because he's getting in the way of what I want. I want this board and its mandate to move to its stated goals as fast as it can: new license; more Andreas wizardry, better image.
>
>Keith Hodges has boundless energy for conflict. This has been going on for a couple of months now. He lies low and then he catches the ear of some people and energy from some very talented board members gets drained into the sands of nothing. This is a cycle that is going to repeat itself like a sine wave. I want him banned.
>
>Chris Cunnington

It's misrepresentation like you have done above that drive me to continue responding.
It's attitudes like yours that need to nipped in the bud.

I have found Keith to for the most part to have always talked sense, and remained civil in the face of insults, lack of respect, bullying tactics and almost no effort on most people's part to understand the process he was describing. If he did anything wrong, it was maybe to tell people where they were going wrong, no one seems to like that. Particularly if they really are wrong. That really seems to make them mad and consequently defensive, and they resort to various escalating personal attacks, misrepresentations, profanity (you know who I am referring to), and worse bullying techniques.

Thank you for the youtube talk mentioned above <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSFDm3UYkeE> which hits a few things on the head in my view, like for instance right near the beginning talking about a healthy open source community:

Build a Strong Community Based on:
Politeness
Respect
Trust
Humility
and:
Have a Mission
Pick a Direction
Limit Your Scope

I think we are currently missing out severely on quite few of these desirable attributes.

Ken G. Brown