[squeak-dev] Re: Board 2010 who and for what ? (Re: Supporting releases (Re: I Want Keith...)

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 05:26:34 UTC 2010

Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:
> On 2/17/10 6:06 AM, "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
>> The idea is to combine both the free-for-all
>> easy access trunk development with managed bug fixing for released
>> versions. I'm all in favor of the latter (just as long as it doesn't
>> prevent the former). And obviously, this model can be applied
>> retroactively to produce 3.10.3.
>
> -1
>
> We should go forward and no backwards.

I agree with the general inclination of moving forwards, however,
providing fixes is generally a Good Thing (tm), just very resource
intensive. We don't have many resources, so we have to be careful how we
split our energy between moving forwards and supporting existing releases.

What I've been trying to describe is a process that I think we can
actually sustain with the resources we have. That's because we do it
reasonably often (every 6 months), reasonably quickly (2 weeks) and
hopefully automated to some extent. Spending two weeks every six months
to look through Mantis to see what fixes might help an existing release
is time well spent for people using a Squeak release for their own work.

> Start to talk about 3.10.3 only for Keith do not complains is no good.

Mentioning 3.10.3 was intended as a test bed for the process. Kinda like
saying, okay let's just go over Mantis, select fixes that are important,
package them, ship them as 3.10.3. Since we need to start the process
somewhere we might as well start it with 3.10. It would teach us
something about the process.

> But I wish a proper close of 3.10.2 and a freeze of 3.11.

Yes, we talked about it in the board meeting today and I've been tasked
to write something up about it.

> I want you as Squeak CEO and have my vote.

To be clear, I don't want to be a CEO. I'm not sure if you know what
that *actually* implies; I've done the job, I completely hated
everything to do with it. I'm an engineer, a system-builder, not a CEO.

The board itself is truly a board of equals, great and wonderful
personalities who I am proud to associate with. There is only one person
who I'd say does significantly more than anyone else, and that's Ken.
Ken has been by far the biggest surprise to me - he is truly the
secretary, keeping everything together, making sure we have an agenda,
making sure we post the summary, nagging people where necessary, keeping
the communications going, etc.

That Ken isn't running again is a *huge* loss for the next board, much
larger than my absence could ever be. If you have any influence on his
decisions (heck even if not!) send him a note to reconsider, *beg* him
if you must. And I apologize to Ken for putting you on the stand here
but I really, really, really like you to reconsider :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas