[squeak-dev] Re: SoundPlayer VM Crash

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Feb 18 16:22:17 UTC 2010

Martin wrote:
> We are experiencing a VM Crash in our production system. It happens
> after between 3-5hs since is running. It seems to be related to the
> SoundPlayer but it's used extensively through the system and we cannot
> track what happens. I attached the crash dump files where we found the
> errors. It seems to be related to the SoundPlayer
> class>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: method, have
> somebody experienced something similar?

It looks like it's crashing somewhere in the sound player's play loop,
and fairly reliably so. If you can repeat the problem, could you try the
- Launch your application
- Press F2 to get to the VM preferences
- Go to "Display and Sound" and toggle the Direct Sound preference
This will take a slightly different path in the VM. If this crashes as
well, please send me the crash.dmp. If it doesn't crash you can use that
as a workaround; the problem is then likely in the low-level interface
to DSound.

BTW, one other thing you might try that might be helpful is to change
SoundPlayer class>>startPlayerProcessBufferSize:rate:stereo:sound: to
give the player process highIOPriority. The default player priority is
too low if you have other preemptive activities related to sound.

   - Andreas