[squeak-dev] Re: MessageTally fixes

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Sun Feb 21 23:17:53 UTC 2010

Levente Uzonyi wrote:
>> BTW, if you take a close look at Cuis, I'm sure you'd be porting tons
>> of stuff back to Squeak.
>
> That's probably true and I guess other people would do the same. A few
> pointers would be helpful.
>

> Levente

Ok. Some things that could be worth bringing into Squeak are:
- #is: as a replacement for #isXXX. See implementors and senders of #is:
in Cuis.   I believe this is a big improvement.
- closure analysis in method annotations
- 0077-ProtocolCatcher-jmv.1.cs
- 0099-ChronologyEnh-jmv.1.cs
- New exceptions for more flexible handling of Socket and FileWrite failures
- This last one is a bit larger. I did a serious redesign of TextStyles
and TextAttributes, also affecting NewParagraph and the CharacterScanner
hierarchy. This makes it easier to write editors that have a concept of
style that is closer common text editors. It also adds new functionality
to the TextStyles. Paragraph removal.

Another one that is great although a bit risky is to make #fork and
friends answer nil instead of the created process. See comment at #fork.

Many Cuis features are already in Squeak, like AA StrikeFonts, new
Editor hierarchy, MessageTally enh. And there are many other things that
could be useful. You can check a bit the list of change sets for Cuis,
and see if something calls your attention.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich