[squeak-dev] HelpSystem & Class comments

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 17:12:14 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 8:25 PM, keith <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Sorry but I didnt understand  much of this. All I really know about
> pragma's is that you can put
>
> <blah: #symbol>
>
> at the top of some code. Where do you put the documentation in this scheme?

You can inevnt any selector you want, with multiple arguments.  So you could
choose e.g.

myMethod
    <documentation: 'This method does blah'
      author: 'me'
      apiType: #deprecated>
    self doStuffInADeprecatedWay

Somewhere else, e.g. in your documentation generator you could implement the
#documentation:author:apiType: method, e.g.

documentation: docString author: authorString apiType: typeSymbol
    "Generate doc on outputStream if typeSymbol is a member of the current
doc type set."

The advantage of this is that the pragma has a specification given by the
implementation of #documentation:author:apiType:.  So unlike the 6 "'s hack,
the link between the metadata and what consumes it is explicit, and senders
and implementors will find producers (methods carrying the pragma) and
consumers (implementors of the pragma).

You then use standard Pragma class-side glue to hook the two up.

You might later add a more or less sophisticated pragma to your generator,
e.g.

DocGenerator methods for documentation pragmas
documentation: docString author: authorString apiType: typeSymbol seeAlso:
aSequenceOfSelectors
    "Generate doc on outputStream if typeSymbol is a member of the current
doc type set."

When a user browses DocGenerator they'll see all the pragmas and be able to
find all uses, be able to add their own etc.

Yes one can use pragmas simply as annotations.  But I think it's much more
powerful when you design pragma selectors that can be implemented, because
a) the consumer of the pragma can be found, not puzzled out, b) it's
extensible in a reasonably obvious manner by adding more selectors to pragma
consumers and c) one can relate multiple consumers (e.g. above a web doc
producer or a e.g. browser that displays api overview along with a class
definition) by using the same selector to consume pragmas in different
generators.

HTH