[squeak-dev] [ANN] Like, Python? Like, Squeak!

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 22:13:29 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 1:47 PM, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:

> Folks -
>
> I just came across this amazing bit of modern language design:
>
>   http://www.staringispolite.com/likepython/
>
> And I just couldn't stop myself. I am happy to announce Like, Squeak the
> modern version of the Squeak language! Just as in Like, Python you will
> write your code, like, in a style culturally appropriate for teh 21st
> century. Let's give it a shot, bro:
>
>  ok so fields := #(1 2 3) ah collect:[: omg aNumber|
>    aNumber reciprocal dude yeah
>  ].
>  yo Transcript just friggin show: da fields toootally reversed
>
> Can you imagine the productivity boost? You just write it just the way
> you'd spell it! Like, Squeak opens completely new directions for any serious
> Squeak developer.
>
> Here is a full list of Like, Squeak keywords (which looks awfully similar
> to the Like, Python keywords):
>
> * Valleygirl: omg, so, like, totally, right, toootally
> * Frat guy: friggin, fuckin, dude, man, bro, broheim, broseph
> * Internets: lol, rofl, teh, ohai, plz
> * Snoop: yo, homey, homeboy, sup, dog, shit, girl, ma, biatch, ho, shiiit
> * Misc: just, hey, yeah, ok, um, uh, ah, actually, something
>
> Surely, this will open the door to lots of new users trying out Squeak!

I'm sorry, I don't understand your banter.
Can we please add whatHo, notCricket, goodShow, oldBoy, newFangled, prang,
bloody and snifter old boy?  WWII banter suits Squeak better than all that
new-fangled stuff by requiring camelCase to make it parse.

And does this mean I have to stop writing "self doShit" in my Smalltalk
code?