[squeak-dev] Re: Where is there a working Squeak VM?

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Feb 26 02:11:02 UTC 2010

(cc to vm-dev list)

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 02:13:59PM -0500, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Chris Muller said:
>
> >* >Frankly, this is all seriously cheesey.  Please, if we haven't*>* >already, can we make available a separately downloadable VM for*>* >*Squeak*.  I would even suggest that we make it downloadable from*>* >squeak.org.  Who is in charge of this?*
>
> *David T. Lewis said: *It sounds like we need clearer links from
> squeak.org to the relevant
> VM pages. We have a Squeak 4.0 release right around the corner, and
> that's probably the right time to do the updates.
>

> Ken has changed the squeak.org homepage to announce the impending
> Squeak 4.0 license. The links to the VMs for Squeak are in two places
> AFAIK. The first is on the homepage in a links box on the left. A
> second is if you go to the Other Downloads page, you can find a link
> there. Neither of them suggest to me their importance very well. I
> have webmaster access to squeak.org. Do people like the existing links
> to the VM downloads, and if not, then where would they a like a link?
> It seems to me a single location pointing both to John's Mac VMs and
> the squeakvm.org VMs is required.

Chris,

Thank you for looking into this.

At this point, I think that squeak.org should point users in the
direction of VMs that are closure enabled (usable for Squeak trunk,
Pharo, and the upcoming Squeak 4.+ images) and that will support
older images back to at least Squeak 3.8. That means that it should
now point to the most recent Windows and Unix VMs from squeakvm.org,
and the equivalent OS X VM from John's site.

John McIntosh: We should make your Mac and iPhone VMs clearly visible
from squeakvm.org, similar to the Windows and Unix VMs. If you agree,
can you please help me with some intro text and the proper links
to your servers (I have access to the the squeakvm.org box if
you don't currently have it). And for Chris' benefit can you please
provide the correct link for a Mac VM suitable for Squeak 3.8 through
Pharo/Squeak trunk current.

Thanks!

Dave