[squeak-dev] [Squeak 4.0] A Couple of Methods (PLEASE REVIEW)

Ronald Spengler ron.spengler at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 07:53:34 UTC 2010

So to avoid pasting the whole license into
SystemDictionary>>condenseSources, I added SystemDictionary>>license,
which just answers a ByteString containing the license agreement, and
makes the change to #condenseSources a one-liner. Note that I pasted
verbatim what Andreas sent me; I would like it if folks could make
sure I have the right text there. Another advantage to having the
license live in it's own method is, it's easy to change if the SFC
wants last-minute changes. A third advantage (and this just makes me
smile) is you can print:

[ Smalltalk license. ]

Which answers the ByteString containing the text of the license
agreement. Place your bets on how long it'll take Andreas to come up
with a one line method that transforms legalese into friendly
LOLspeak:P

Andreas recommended the following test case to me:

Filein the attachment SystemDictionary-license.st, followed by the
attachment SystemDictionary-condenseSources.st.

Then do... [ Smalltalk condenseSources. ]

Afterwords, make sure it worked with...

[ Smalltalk allClassesAndTraits do:[:cls| cls compileAll]. ]

If anyone can recommend other interesting test cases around this,
please let me know. The changes and sources files are still fairly
arcane to the Fancy New Guy:)

--
Ron