[squeak-dev] Re: [Squeak 4.0] A Couple of Methods (PLEASE REVIEW)

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Feb 27 13:06:52 UTC 2010

On 27.02.2010, at 00:26, Andreas Raab wrote:

> On 2/27/2010 12:21 AM, keith wrote:
>>> I agree with the overload aspect but [Smalltalk license] is just to
>>> good not to use it.
>>
>> But its not really Smalltalk's licence it is "this system's licence" how
>> about
>
> My point is it's idiomatic (the Python folks call it "pythonic"). Just compare:
>
> Smalltalk license.
> SmalltalkImage current license.
> SystemVersion current license.
>
> Which one would you guess at?
>
>> SqueaksLicence yo just print like
>
> Totally :-)
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

FWIW in Etoys we modified Utilities class>>copyrightNotice to have the exact same contents as the NOTICE file included on disk next to the LICENSE file. The possibility of a NOTICE file is mentioned explicitly in the Apache 2.0 license. Our ReleaseBuilder has a checkCopyright method that ensures both on-file and in-image notices are the same. Additionally, SystemDictionary>>copyright has just the copyright lines from that notice, again the release builder checks they are consistent.

http://tinlizzie.org/updates/etoys/updates/2204copyright-bf.cs

http://etoys.laptop.org/src/LICENSE
http://etoys.laptop.org/src/NOTICE

- Bert -