[squeak-dev] Re: SystemChangeNotifier and Announcements

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Feb 27 14:12:02 UTC 2010

> Anybody interested in this? What do you think about the approach?
>
> I'm too busy to offer to help, but I will say that the approach is exactly
right.   First keep the interface but change the implementation.  Then
provide a new interface and gradually move things over.

The part you didn't mention was to say that when you are done, you should
have TWO packages, one of which converts everything to the new way, the
other is a backward compatibility package.  So, if people try to load some
old package and it bombs, they can fload the backward compatibility package
to ensure it is working, then convert to the new interface in the same
incremental style, and then get rid of the compatibility package.  Other
than that, it is a textook explanation of how to change a design without
every breaking the system.

-Ralph