[squeak-dev] [Squeak 4.0] Welcome text (work in progress)

Gary Dunn osp at aloha.com
Sun Feb 28 04:05:57 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-26 at 14:59 +0530, K. K. Subramaniam wrote:
> On Friday 26 February 2010 01:25:54 pm Ronald Spengler wrote:
> > Welcome to Squeak - a free, open Smalltalk system.
> >
> > Squeak is an open source implementation of Smalltalk that includes an
> > expansive and rapidly developing world of objects.
> The introduction may suit experienced developers but will leave many beginners
> in the dark. I have long wished for a short, clear pitch for "What is Squeak?"
> that I could dish out to students and teachers. How do we introduce it in a
> way that a broad swathe of programmers can grasp its essence and uniqueness?
> What can we put "on the tin" ?
>
> How about:
>   Squeak is a free and open Smalltalk interpreter designed to build compact,
> multi-platform software.
>
> What makes Squeak stand apart from other interpreters? speed of development?
> framework collection? platform coverage? ease of porting?
>
> Subbu

I have tried doing this several times. It is difficult because Squeak is
so rich. Here is another attempt, based on two Open Slate web pages.

Squeak is a unique implementation of Smalltalk, one which provides many
brilliant, often unique, features. Smalltalk was designed to reduce the
gulf between programmer and user. It accomplishes this by making
programming more intuitive, more fail safe, and highly interactive.
Software development is straightforward and within the grasp of any
enthusiast; nothing more is required. Squeak provides a modern,
graphical user interface yet manages to expose all of its internals to
users.

This would be followed with increasingly technical stuff like Ron wrote.

Derived from http://www.aloha.com/~knowtree/openslate/squeak.html and
http://wiki.openslate.net/mediawiki/index.php?title=Chalk_Dust_Ports:Squeak

Comments and corrections to those pages welcome, but we should stay
focused on the 4.0 release.

BTW, today was strange, waiting for the Tsunami. We are fine. Sea level
went down and up many times, but no damage.

--
Gary Dunn, Honolulu
osp at aloha.com
http://openslate.net/