[squeak-dev] Package unload status

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jan 5 14:58:46 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab wrote:

> * Morphic-Extras: I don't understand the intent of this package. The
> name implies to me that it includes "extras" which I'd expect to be
> optional content that should be unloadable at will but the reality is
> that even attempting to unload it (I foolishly tried) blows up left
> and right. Question: Is the intention of Morphic-Extras to contain
> unloadable content? If so, it's not doing its job currently. If that's
> not the intention of Morphic-Extras, I'd appreciate a heads-up of what
> the rationale for the structure is.

Hi Andreas,

I did the original split of Morphic into Morphic, Morphic-Extras and
Etoys, loooong time ago. You're right. The intent was to include there
morphic stuff that is non-core and non-Etoys. The long term objective
was to make those packages unloadable. However, I never got past that
initial split. I have not been the team leader for Morphic for several
years nos. Feel free to restructure those packages as you see fit.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich