[squeak-dev] Re: Package unload status

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jan 5 23:35:57 UTC 2010

Levente Uzonyi wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 2010, Igor Stasenko wrote:
>
>> 2010/1/5 Edgar J. De Cleene <edgardec2001 at yahoo.com.ar>:
>>>

>>> This is GREAT news.
>>> I like help with any Cuis + MC + M17N = SqueakCore , starting with
>>> 3.11Unloaded.
>>>

>> And what to do with all changes to Kernel being added recently to trunk?
>> Or you want to deal with them later, in same fashion as Juan
>> backported closure compiler?
>
> That's going to be a lot of work. AFAIK Cuis is built on top of 3.7,
> so it probably doesn't have the changes from 3.8, 3.9 and 3.10 besides
> the trunk changes.

Cuis is not "built on top" of 3.7 but derived from it, in the same way
as 3.8, 3.9, etc. Cuis does include many changes from later Squeak
versions, especially bugfixes to kernel. If I could get Closures working
on it, porting anything else will be much easier than that. Besides,
Squeak trunk is actually closer to 3.7 than Cuis is. I mean, I really
modified lots of stuff there.

Anyway, after stripping a lof of stuff from Cuis, I can tell that the
biggest work of all will be to turn packages into well factored units
that can be unloaded and reloaded. I avoided that. I just removed them.
That's why I believe Andreas is right: the best way is to work in
Squeak, using Cuis as a reference.

> Another issue with this approach is licensing.

There are no licensing issues. Cuis is MIT.

> Levente

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich