[squeak-dev] Re: Unimplemented calls in sq 8720 and sq 8836

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 11 16:41:40 UTC 2010

>[squeak-dev] Re: Unimplemented calls in sq 8720 and sq 8836
>Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
>Mon Jan 11 01:37:07 UTC 2010 wrote:

>Hi Jerome -
>
>If you have some code that removes unimplemented calls, please help us!
>Either by providing packages into the inbox or by putting them into
>Mantis - either way is fine but please make sure you communicate it somehow.
>
>Cheers,
>   - Andreas

Hi Andreas,

Don't worry. I am just getting warmed up. Besides I think you missed the point of the post. Which is new code should not create more unimplemented calls. Cleaning up the backlog can be done slowly with low priority. It won't make a dent if new code is added (or removed) sloppily.

Also some of the calls would be best removed by their package owners. Many are due to SAR and SqueakMap. I am kindly requesting that people look at the list and tackle the ones that are theirs.

There has been code to address some of the unimplemented stuff.
I put it on mantis for 3.10.x

0007042: [fixes][tests] Whitling down unimplemented calls in sq7159
http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7042

It seems to have an inconsistent status. Internally its pending. Externally its marked closed. It includes the sunit test I mentioned. You'll see from the dialog there how frustrating it was to try to get fixes recognized and harvested.

Right now I am still a Monticello luddite. So it will take some time to get up to speed in packaging things they way you seem to be requesting them. Till then I intend to post mantis reports w/ fileouts of the code and fixes.

Meanwhile you could harvest the sunit test. Then request your contributers to not add to the mess? That seems doable, possible and desirable.

Yours in curiosity and service -- Jerome Peace