[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] Squeak on Android

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Tue Jan 19 12:57:45 UTC 2010

Hi!

Andreas Raab wrote:
> Göran Krampe wrote:
>> Andreas, I *love* you! :) This made my day.
>
> Heh, heh, you're welcome. It's still a long way to go though.

Of course, but it's a start!

>> We are focusing hard on Android here at MSC and having Squeak on it is
>> extremely interesting.
>
> Great! Think you can spare some resources to move things forward? :)

Might be able to.

>> Now, the absolutely coolest thing would be if we somehow can "tap
>> into" all that java code. Have you given that any though? I even
>> looked at the Dalvik source code to play with the thought of merging a
>> Squeak VM with a Dalvik VM...
>
> There are two approaches here, with different tradeoffs:
>
> 1) Write generic bridge to Java (using JNI). That's a sizable chunk of
> initial work, but once it's done you will be able to interact seamlessly
> between Squeak and Java. I've built a similar bridge (to Python) and it
> works extremely well.

Yeah, and yes, I read your other ride-on-FFI-post. Also, the JNIPort
someone mentioned looked quite interesting too, and with a reasonable
license it seems.

But of course, a plugin ...not sure I get what that *is* in this lineup
- a C plugin? Or is it a piece of java code in the java "harness" you
have that we call using.... some kind of protocol?

Anyway, we would love to take a look at your "messy code" and promise
that we will not harass you with questions about it :)

regards, Göran