How to load and use Seaside 3 (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: Seaside + TDD)

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Wed Jan 20 15:36:39 UTC 2010

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Chris Cunnington wrote:

> On 20 Nov. I wrote these instructions for installing Seaside. It's clear
> from the last paragraph that Seaside 3.0 did not work in my attempts to
> install it in a current version of Squeak.
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-November/141226.html
>
> I have seen no evidence from anybody in the past two months that either my
> approach was wrong or that somebody has successfully installed Seaside 3.0
> in a current version of Squeak.

Your approach is wrong.

0. Install OmniBrowser (this will let you have Seaside Control Panel)
   Installer installUrl: 'http://www.wiresong.ca/static/releases/OmniBrowser-2.0.3.sar'.

1. Go to http://builder.seaside.st .

2. Select the Advanced tab.

3. Make sure you select Seaside-Tools-OmniBrowser in the Developement
section. Check everything else you may need. If you don't know what you
need, select everything (you only one server adaptor though).

4. Download the Load Script.

5. Install the changeset (just drag and drop it, or with the File List)

6. Open the Seaside Control Panel (from the World menu/open...)

7. Right (yellow) click in the upper panel and select Add adaptor...,
select WAComancheAdaptor (or the one you selected before), pick a port
(let's say 8080 is available on your machine), click accept.

8. Right (yellow) click on the adaptor in the panel and select
Encoding..., pick utf-8.

9. Press the Start button.

10. Open http://127.0.0.1:8080/ in your browser.

Note that the Seaside Control Panel knows a lot of other tricks, but if
you don't like it (or don't want to load OB), check out the WAAdmin class
which helps you with the configuration of Seaside.

Levente