[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 20 16:54:06 UTC 2010

> It would be cool to have an 'official' Network package, maintained
> separately, which could be
> used by all existing Squeak forks.

Sorry Igor,

don't be ridiculous. Stop talking sense, I warn you, you are wasting
your time.

If you cant get a simple package like SUnit, or an essential package
like MC to be adopted in common across forks by the decision makers,
even when you are doing all the work for them, you have no hope
whatsoever.

> I was always behind the idea, that image should be splitted on
> multiple packages,
> and changes to them should not be privatized by a single fork.

That ship sailed, at the end of the day the best kernel, and I mean
kernel, that can migrate to spoon, providing remote development of my
seaside based servers, will win for me.

All I am looking for is a home for my codebase, and neither squak, not
pharo is it.

> I am not sure, however, if squeak/pharo communities ready for such
> ideological shift.

there is a squeak community? where? (...and other rude comments
deleted...)

> Your work on LPF proven that it is possible to create an artifact,

Apparently not valued by "the community" enough to use it.

> which can be loaded and used on multiple Squeak versions and its
> forks.

> I think that we still lack of infrastructure, for making such things
> happen.

Really, you don't say, and I spent 3 years working on this
infrastructure for what? No one wants to use it.

> I found, that GitHub (github.com) is a very interesting approach on
> how to tame a 'forking chaos' into something productive, where
> each party wins from cross-pollineation.

I prefer Bazaar, and I propose that Cuis-kernel development could be
progressed through changesets shared via Bazaar.

Keith