[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jan 21 19:37:36 UTC 2010

> So far I'm quite happy with the base image being monolithic. I'd
> like loadable packages to be used for optional stuff. What would be
> the benefit of splitting the base system that way? How long would it
> take to have a usable system again?

I wasn't thinking of making the image non-monolithic, merely defining
some useful architectural boundaries tidying it up a bit.

In this thought I am suggesting that a monolithic image that contains
packages which can be removed or improved, can be functionally
equivalent to a kernel image that you need to load things into to be
useful. The monolithic image is  far easier to distribute and discuss.

I thought you would approve on the basis that System has a lot of
optional stuff. If we had a package management system (I have
christened it Simplercello in anticipation) then tools such as the
Transcript, Workspace etc, would be candidates for management in an
external package.

My first project is to implement the "multiple update streams" concept
envisaged by gorans DeltaStreams initiative. This will be released as
a standalone class SystemUpdates, in the category/package System-
Updates , and it is intended to complement the use of the bzr
repository as a basis for sharing work.

Keith