[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] Cuis

Josh Gargus josh at schwa.ca
Fri Jan 22 01:35:18 UTC 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 3:10 PM, keith wrote:

>>> Very good. Is it the same simpler traits as pharo?
>>

>> What's your point?
>
> I write and maintain packages for users in both squeak and pharo, surely my point is obvious,

No, it was not obvious.  Even upon rereading, it doesn't seem like you're conceding that your statement that the process "can only build a monolithic image" is mistaken... it seems like you're trying to change the subject.

> I don't want extra work, and I dont want to have to maintain separate code bases.

Fair enough.  I believe that Andreas went to some lengths to maintain compatibility.

>  I was just hoping for a simple answer, "yes" would be good. I wasn't being cynical, I was just interested to know.

I apologize for my misunderstanding.  I believe the answer is no.

>>  I responded to your false statement that the process "can only build a monolithic image".  I'm not talking about cross-fork compatibility here.
>
> I can unload packages from any image with Sake/Packages, I dont need the trunk process for that, but lets see your process build an image without Monticello, or with Morphic3, or Rio instead of FileDirectory.

I never claimed that the trunk process is necessary for package unloading.  You're the one who claimed that the trunk process can only build a monolithic image, and I debunked it with a counter-example.

I realize that you're responding to emails from many people, but let's please try to follow the argument, otherwise we're all wasting our time.

> Basically you are not able to offer anything fundamentally different from what has gone before,

In terms of unloading packages, maybe not (are you now admitting that real progress has been made in that regard?).  But in terms of pace of development, obviously so.

> I don't want File/Directory in my image I hate it with a passion. My entire motivation for hacking the core in the first place is to get rid of FileDirectory.

Gaaah.  No argument there.

Cheers,
Josh