[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Fri Jan 22 08:47:46 UTC 2010

>Squeak ceases to be an interesting platform because it hasn't got any
>continuous integration tools, it has no vision for such tools, and those
>it has got have just been discarded by the community without a second
>thought.

There are CI tools available - have a look how Lukas builds
Seaside images from Pharo - he can even integrate the results in Hudson
(a Java CI platform), see [1] or check the builds live [2].

>If I use BOB to build and regression test my code it only makes sense
>if the seaside team also uses Bob to build and regression test their
>code and the same goes for magma etc  etc.

And since the seaside team is not going to use Bob and I dont see
Squeak adopting your ideas after trunk I think your original vision
will not happen. At least not for Squeak/Seaside.

Most people I know use Monticello these days - it works even when
there are still issues left. You are able to load/unload packages,
have images with modularized packages and the ability to share
work between platforms like Squeak, Gemstone and Pharo. You can
even read Monticello into VisualWorks.

And there is Metacello now - solving the package management problem
for Monticello. Dont know if Squeak will adapt Metacello, if it will
not maintain Seaside or other packages separatly I think it should.
Hope people here will have a look at Metacello too. Only time will tell.

At least for Pharo I think Metacello becomes more widespread -
since Metacello does a good job (as far as I've tested) and it
is not bound to one platform. There are already many configurations
available, even when it still lacks some tools. But it is maintained,
documented, there is a commercial interest and it is well alive.

On the other side I dont see any progress on Sake/Bob these days
(we all know about the reasons, but there is now no force behind it)

I understand most of your points, how hard it is to get fire from any
side even when you tried to shape a better future and all
the other problems discussed here - the real question for you is
if you are able to leave the past behind and will be able
to share a new future again within this community (even when it
will walk a different direction than you originally proposed/shaped).

Bye
T.

[1] http://astares.blogspot.com/2010/01/hudson-build-for-smalltalk.html
[2] http://hudson.lukas-renggli.ch/