[squeak-dev] Thanks John and Dave

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Jan 22 19:40:25 UTC 2010

On 2010-01-22, at 3:33 AM, Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> As I say to John private I have this
> http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/stats/powermac_g4_733_qs.
> html
> This model only runs Tiger and John VM needs Leopard.
> He kindly advice me, but I think could have more sense work on the iMac
> Intel.
> Can't switch as I loose all old soft.
> Same for not going to Snow Leopard

Just so everyone knows, the macintosh squeak VM 3.x/4.x should run on OS-X machines as
far back as 10.2  This mostly is for EToys which has to run on really old macintosh computers
that you find the USA school system. .

When I was working on V5 I had to make a choice where the cutoff point was. In order to take
advantage of the fact I could build an abstraction layer that would work both with the iPhone and
OSX I picked 10.5 (leopard) as the cut point.

I have looked at 10.4 support but there is a fair amount of work to do to back port. It isn't impossible,
but there is only so many hours in the day when we still have to finish the V5 code base and
re-check all the plugins for 32/64bit sanity.

If someone *wants* to do that back port I'll incorporate any changes into the tree.

> I need all my money for buy the computers here in SqueakRos and badly wish
> the Apple Tabblet as soon as they sold it ...
>
> Edgar

Well once the table (or whatever) is out then I'll need to find the $ to buy one, so I can test.

I note Impara was kind enough to buy and send me a mac intel mini so that I could build a intel version of the mac VM
since at the time it was a critical item on their Plopp offering time-line.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882