[squeak-dev] References to a class implementing a given method in the method

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Sat Jan 23 12:44:11 UTC 2010

On 23.01.2010, at 04:08, Ralph Boland wrote:

> My only complaint then is that every time the "rearrange:"
> message is sent inheritance must now be used to find the
> "rearrange:"  method.
> This seems inefficient to me (I know  Squeak is 50 slower than
> C so who cares)

Please post benchmark code demonstrating the problem. Or at least a profile.

I am pretty sure you are misguided in assuming that the depth of method lookup would make any measurable difference in real-world code. Your inner loop would have to be way optimized for that, pretty much running bytecode only.

"about 97% of the time, premature optimization is the root of all evil" -- Don Knuth

- Bert -