[squeak-dev] Brave New World

Josh Gargus josh at schwa.ca
Sat Jan 23 17:54:10 UTC 2010

On Jan 23, 2010, at 5:58 AM, keith wrote:

> Essentially I am proposing a paradigm shift from "centralized" scm, like subversion or CVS (aka trunk).
> and we need the equivalent of git/mercurial and bazaar, where development is decentralised and we can branch to our hearts content.

No, we already have a distributed SCM.  It's called Monticello, and it works EXACTLY like git, mercurial, and bazaar.  You are proposing something else.

I am currently developing a project in the trunk image, but storing my work in a different repository on SqueakSource.  If the work ever proves to be desirable to include in trunk (which this particular work won't), then including it is as simple as copying the latest version from one repository to  another.  I repeat, this is exactly how git, mercurial, and bazaar work.

You are proposing a shift to something else, something that none of the other DSCMs have either.  The Linux kernel isn't developed by having anything like Sake/Packages that automatically builds the source tree for the kernel by pulling in patches from a bunch of different repositories.  Instead, different developers have their own repositories, and when they have a version that they're not ashamed to show to Linus (or his lieutenants), they provide a patch for consideration.  If this patch is accepted, then it is integrated into the "trunk" repository.

 Cheers,
Josh