Squeak core dev is now like every other open source project! (was Re: [squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis)

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jan 24 16:19:38 UTC 2010

On 24 Jan 2010, at 15:28, keith wrote:

>> If you are a *developer* of Squeak itself, follow trunk, propose
>> changes to Inbox, and perhaps become a committer to trunk yourself
>> after enough good patches.
>>
>> THIS IS THE SAME MODEL AS EVERY OTHER SUCCESSFUL OPEN SOURCE PROJECT.
>

> Do you recall that in the last 10 years there was discovered such a
> thing as Extreme Programming. This is a different model to what you
> are using.
>
>> Keith continues to make it into something it isn't.  We're doing
>> *what works*.
>

> May I point out again that it doesn't work for me. My patches to
> trunk would be fixes for Monticello. These fixes would break trunk,
> therefore it doesn't work as you suppose.
>
> Keith

Also squeak and linux are different, one is source based the other
isn't.

Squeak has a long history, and the problem is not, and never has been,
bunging out another release, Edgar managed it all on his lonesome!

The new problem on the block is reducing the propensity, the need, and
the drive, for forking within the community.

how exactly does trunk solve that. If you can answer that convincingly
I will then be convinced that trunk is part of the solution and not
part of the problem.

regards

Keith