Revived from the dead [Re: [squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis]

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 19:03:28 UTC 2010

2010/1/24 Nicolas Cellier <nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com>:

> Sure.
> Continuous integration is not that easy.
> However, I would try to make new developments in the bleeding edge
> version for these reasons:
> - react early to uncompatible changes
> - propose hooks to reduce the level of kernel patching
> You can't control everything but it's better to keep an eye opened
> rather than discovering unwanted changes lately.
> And it's even better if you can bend some developments toward your own
> direction.

Well, you can. But i think , then it is hard to separate the goals of
what you want from your application
and what you want from package (or system) in general. This could lead
to inversion of your model,
where design of base packages tends to serve only for your application
and almost nothing else.
We have a lot of such kind of things in squeak, where a package which
should provide a generic interfaces,
concentrating on some obscure bit of functionality, which used only in
a single place of some dependent application/package.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.