[squeak-dev] How to beat Andreas at his own game

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 05:15:13 UTC 2010

>>> If you don't like process X, the way to persuade the community not
>>> to follow Andreas is to provide an alternative. Keith, it sounds
>>> to me like you've got clear ideas about what a better alternative
>>> would be, and have the tools realize that vision. To that end, I
>>> suggest the following steps:
>>
>> My time, and availability to do any of that ended when Andreas did
>> what he did.
>
> A shame. I had hoped that your decision to reengage the community
> this way was a sign that you were ready to pursue your vision
> despite the setback you've suffered. If that's not your purpose...
> um, why all the fuss?
>
> Colin

Hi Colin,

My decision to re-engage, was out of the realisation that, I don't
have anywhere to go at all with my code base much beyond a year hence,
because when I tried pharo 1.0 I didn't like it at all. I even thought
I might humble myself and try Metacello, to see if it really was
offering more than S/P, and I don't think it fundamentally is.

In discussions in irc, some were asking about getting MC up and
running in Cuis.
So then I tried Cuis and I did like it as far as it goes, which isn't
yet far enough to run MC let alone seaside or pier.

So, as it turns out this is where the Cuis discussions are, and I
signed back up. If Cuis had a separate mailing list, I would not have
shown my face here again.

I think Cuis has potential, since all the things that interest me
(apart from adopting a Logging API to replace Transcript show: , and
replacing FileDirectory) are external to the kernel of Cuis. Juan has
stated he doesnt care about anything other than having a good kernel.
So that is promising, no board to mess things up with politics.

In Cuis-land a lot of the contributions that are being made to "trunk"
would be in external packages anyway, including changes to morphic.
This had been what we were aiming to achieve with putting
AtomicLoading as top priority, to be able to make larger subsystems
like Morphic externally manageable and loadable, so as to enable
changes by revolution rather than evolution. I do think cuis + atomic

On my return, I also discovered that clearly my absence has not been
of any concern. Since the board had not done anything about the "terms
of reference" request I made 5 months ago, this is why I got pissed
off on the day after the board meeting and had a proper rant.
Apparently the board doesn't care how they treat people, and the board
now represents the squeak community, until that changes, I see no
reason to participate with squeak, its no fun.

Overall, since I have recently learned how rape and abuse trauma may
be cured, I have developed a 5 year therapy programme for resolving
Multiple Personality Disorder, which I am being asked to teach, and
also a cure for tourettes and dispraxia is possibly close behind, my
time really would be better spent on more important things; video
documenting case studies, performing research and actually helping
people. Unfortunately this doesn't pay the bills (it is unethical to
charge), if anyone would like to sponsor me to help people instead, I
would happily drop coding and leave you all alone for good.

regards

Keith