[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis - Cross fork compatibility of packages: A proposal

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 26 22:00:09 UTC 2010

>> All efforts to change this, to move obvious loadable libraries like
>> SUnit, and MC out to be externally managed, have up to now failed.
>> The weakness of my attempts so far has been in the testing side of
>> things. (Matthew Fulmer is worth is weight in gold on that one)
>>
>> However Monticello is a complicated beast, I may have made 400 more
>> commits, merging 3 forks, but one or two bugs is all it takes to
>> reject the entire refactoring of the repositories code, the
>> improved more uniform ui implementation, the password manager, the
>> dual change sorter, the orphanage for out of order loading, public
>> package info properties for package managers, scripting of commits,
>> memory analysis per package, the atomic loader, cleanUp code,
>> improved version numbering, integrated Configurations, separated
>> tests, default packageinfo package types etc etc etc.
>
> Those are package specific problems. I suggest getting in touch with
> Monticello developers to merge your changes.

Matthew and I were the monticello maintainers for 3 years, after there
had been none for at least a year. That was the whole point of setting
up a shared repository squeaksource.com/mc so that Monticello could be
maintained and worked on by anyone that knew how.

Most of us work with the latest of established packages on a day to
day basis. Yet for some reason, both Pharo and "trunk" adopted the
ancient version. There are no more bugs in the new version, the
exisiting bugs are just in slightly different places. The new version
passes lukas' "difficult test case", whereas the old one doesn't.

Keith