[squeak-dev] RemoteTask for poor man's multiprocessing with Squeak

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Tue Jan 26 22:35:31 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 08:19:14PM -0200, Jecel Assumpcao Jr wrote:
> David,
>
> I took a quick look on a quad core 2 box running Fedora Core 10 and the
> Squeak 3.7-7 VM and 3.10.2 image. It seems to lock up on "RemoteTask
> result". Running the Tests-OSProcess does indeed cause one failure in
> #testCooperatingProcesses04 where the tests for version 43 were all
> green. Running Tests-CommandShell locks up after 71 tests with one
> failure (version 4.3 had all green tests after I created a /usr/bin/vi
> file).

Jecel,

Thanks very much for trying this and for the feedback. I guess it's
about time I replaced my ten year old computer so I can test this myself.
I am guessing that a possible culprit is signal delivery for the SIGCHLD
handler, I wonder if that might behave a little differently on a
multi-core machine ...

Thanks again,

Dave