[squeak-dev] [Cuis] Cuis - Cross fork compatibility of packages: A proposal

Juan Vuletich juan at jvuletich.org
Tue Jan 26 23:33:31 UTC 2010

keith wrote:

>> Why? All that is needed is to be able to run the same tests on all fork.
>
> So when magma - written in squeak, requires one variant with complex
> facilities such as remote invocation of images, and Seaside written in
> pharo requires another. The integrator who wishes to test both in one
> image may find irreconcilable differences. Not all testing code uses
> the lowest common denominator.

I see. So, there are actually several versions of SUnit maintained as
external packages by different teams? Didn't know about that... If those
external packages already exist and have maintainers, I have nothing
against that.

> So what will happen is the multiple variants of SUnit will exist in a
> creative tension, to the extent that evolving any of them will become
> virtually impossible.
>
> A trivial example, I prefer that shouldInheritSelectors be specified
> explicitly, most implementations set it automatically for Abstract
> classes. An "improvement" as simple as this will never happen. Another
> trivial example, there are no users of LongTestCase in the squeak
> image, having a general test categorisation mechanism will provide the
> same facility. Write one test case that required LongTestCase, and you
> force me to remain compatible.

Hey, I'll never force you to do anything at all.

> What is so wrong with treating SUnit as a loadable package with
> maintainers and conversations to discuss its future, so that it may
> actually evolve. You seem to think it is a bad thing.

Not at all. I just didn't know those packages and their teams actually
exist.

> Keith
>
> p.s. I think Cuis will be great for squeak, because...
>
> 1. as long as it loads in Cuis, it will load in most places.
> 2. The Cuis version are like to be simpler than others

I'm not that sure about any of those, but you might be right. Just
please keep in mind that at the "Cuis Manifesto" or whatever it should
be called I say: "This means that there are no guarantees of
compatibility between Cuis and anything else, including the various
releases and derivatives of Squeak, or even other releases of Cuis itself."

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich