[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] Cuis - Cross fork compatibility of packages: A proposal

keith keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jan 27 02:55:57 UTC 2010

On 27 Jan 2010, at 02:15, Andreas Raab wrote:

> keith wrote:
>> Most of us work with the latest of established packages on a day to
>> day basis. Yet for some reason, both Pharo and "trunk" adopted the
>> ancient version.
>
> Simple answer: The old version works and it had tons of mileage.
> When I asked for feedback on who's been using MC 1.5 and 1.6 I drew
> blanks from anyone but you and Matthew. When I then tried to see
> whether one of these versions could do everything that the current
> shipping version can do I ran into the issues described here:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-October/140345.html
>
> The point being that if the new version can't deal with all the
> cases that the old version could, then it's probably not ready for
> adoption yet. If the issues listed above have been addressed since
> I'd be happy to repeat the experiment.
>
> Cheers,
>  - Andreas

Hi Andreas,

MC1.5 has quite a few users out there, anyone who uses LPF, which
included Randal for a start.

I would expect MC1.5 to be stable enough, this is the one with the
atomic loading preference turned OFF.

The email you reference above is referring to MC1.6 (MCPackageLoader2)
this is the experimental, atomic loading loader, which everyone knows
isn't finished, no one ever claimed it was stable. We only ever
claimed it would be really worth finishing and I had been asking for
help with for more than 18 months, because it is not my area of
expertise at all, and Matthew had got stuck afaik.

So the point being, if you test the wrong thing, you wont get the
results you hoped for.

cheers

Keith