[squeak-dev] Re: [Cuis] Cuis - Cross fork compatibility of packages: A proposal

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 03:00:06 UTC 2010

2010/1/27 keith <keith_hodges at yahoo.co.uk>:

> On 27 Jan 2010, at 02:15, Andreas Raab wrote:
>
> keith wrote:
>
> Most of us work with the latest of established packages on a day to day
> basis. Yet for some reason, both Pharo and "trunk" adopted the ancient
> version.
>
> Simple answer: The old version works and it had tons of mileage. When I
> asked for feedback on who's been using MC 1.5 and 1.6 I drew blanks from
> anyone but you and Matthew. When I then tried to see whether one of these
> versions could do everything that the current shipping version can do I ran
> into the issues described here:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2009-October/140345.html
>
> The point being that if the new version can't deal with all the cases that
> the old version could, then it's probably not ready for adoption yet. If the
> issues listed above have been addressed since I'd be happy to repeat the
> experiment.

I tried to look at SystemEditor code a while ago.
It would be cool firt, to make all its tests green. But i found some
controversy in what test says and what it actually does.

I don't think that it would be possible to fix Traits support without
author of SystemEditor.
Only then we could move and try using it for atomic loading (in MC, DS
or whatever).

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.