[squeak-dev] RemoteTask for poor man's multiprocessing with Squeak

David Corking lists at dcorking.com
Thu Jan 28 16:10:55 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, David T. Lewis wrote:

>> I tried it on my dual core intel mac (older 32 bit one), and the VM
>> (Squeak4.3.1 Beta1U) crashed. So I loaded the OSProcess tests into an up to
>> date trunk image, and running the tests in UnixProcessTestCase crashed the
>> VM. This also happens in the Pharo Dev 1.0 RC2.
>
> Obviously crashing the VM is not acceptable regardless of what the application
> is doing, so something is badly wrong here.

As far as I can tell, the Cocoa and Carbon VMs do not ship with
pre-built plugins necessary for OSProcess.  I naively tried David's
test with a couple and crashed the VM each time.  Mike, did you build
your own OSProcess and AIO plugins?

(I tried one of Ian Piumarta's Unix VMs for Darwin, because it came
with pre-built plugins, and it didn't crash the VM, but several of the
tests in Test-OSProcess failed.  I chose not to document it or pursue
it further, partly because Mac OS X 10.4 is not supported by recent
VMs.)

David: which image and VM did you use?