[squeak-dev] UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 13:39:58 UTC 2010

From: "Levente Uzonyi" <leves at elte.hu>
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 9:19 AM
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] UI lockup in Squeak 4.1

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> I am running Squeak 4.1 with Squeak4.0.2.exe VM on Windows.  I downloaded
>> it from squeak.org 2 days ago.   I have loaded Cryptography, SSL, and
>> SqueakElib.  I am running SqueakElib as a server.
>>
>> My first indication of a problem is that the CPU goes to 100% and stays
>> there.  Squeak is uninterruptable with <alt>-.   Windows Task Manager
>> shows tat the problem is with Squeak.
>>
>> I opened the ProcessBrowser and turned on the CPUWatcher and ran the
>> system. When the problem occurs, after awhile the VM exits having run out
>> of memory. The crash.log says that the CPUWatcher was trying to
>> catchThePig and it was instantiating an Exception but failed due to no
>> memory. (There were 10 or so iterations of instantiating an exception).
>>
>> So I then went through all the SqueakElib code and made sure all
>> Processes were being created with userBackgroundPriority, so I could
>> interrupt them if they were the problem.  I reran and reproduced the
>> problem of the CPU going to 100%.  It remained uninterruptable.  However,
>> after hitting <alt>-. about 20-30 times, the CPU usage went to 0%.
>> Squeak remained uninterruptable. After trying to manipulate windows, I
>> started getting the debug window at the bottom of the Squeak window and
>> it said over and over:
>>
>> WARNING: event buffer overflow
>>
>> This occurs with mouseMove.
>>
>> Anyone seen this behavior?  Anyone have any ideas on what is wrong, or
>> what I can do to debug further?  Given the last situation, I am thinking
>> this is NOT a SqueakElib problem.
>
> Is the low space watcher process running? Are you running out of memory?
> How much memory does squeak use when the lockup occurs?

The low-space watcher is running, at least before the problem starts.  I do
eventually run out of memory, but the uninterruptable state happens before
this.   I max out at 544,020 K memory allocated (according to Task Manager).
I can watch it grow.  I start at 62,068 K.

This is new: Squeak stopped growing for awhile, at 534,000 K, although it
was still at 100% cpu.  I was able to select processes in the Process
Browser, although very slowly.

I attached the crash.dmp file.

Rob