[squeak-dev] Re: About Configurations

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed Jul 14 01:41:13 UTC 2010

On 7/13/2010 6:09 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
> Well, in that case, we're effectively talking about SqueakMap, right? Maybe implemented differently, but basically a catalog of things you can install, with some metadata about how to actually perform the install, using a method appropriate to the package.

Well, I don't *think* of it as SqueakMap but the comparison is somewhat
appropriate. The main reason why I don't think of it as SM is that SM
wants to be "all packages ever created for Squeak" but what we need is
"all packages that we've actually tested to work in this image". And of
course there are some other differences (like community ownership
instead of individual ownership of the catalog elements) but other than
that I agree; it would probably be quite similar to SM in what it does.

Cheers,
   - Andreas