Cog bugs (was Re: Cog on linux (was: Re: [squeak-dev] Re: UI lockup in Squeak 4.1))

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Thu Jul 15 01:53:53 UTC 2010

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> Changing subject for sanity.
>
> Is there a place to file bugs against the open source version of Cog? (*nudge*) It might improve signal:noise in any event.
>
> I realize that OSCog is the community's responsibility! But if we're going to be responsible about shepherding it, we may as well add a category to Mantis (or something.) What do folks think about that?
>
> FWIW, I had the same symptom running Ubuntu 10.4; Eliot was kind enough to suggest some things I might explore with the debugger, but I haven't had time to drill down into it (just took a new job, ramping up on a pile of software and relational tomfoolery.)
>
> It seems like it's a distro-issue. I'm curious, and I understand that it might not be apropos to disclose, but on the off chance it is, what GNU/Linux distro has Cog seen the most testing on?

That's really strange, because I succesfully built Cog on Ubuntu 10.4 and
it works fine. Today I even managed to compile the plugin for FFI and
Alien (thought none of them works :)) and the UUIDPlugin. I also fixed the
cryptography plugins, those work well (at least the tests pass).
Back to your problem: after compiling I only have vm-display-X11, but no
vm-display-X11.so. Are you sure you're not mixing the files/VMMaker of the
CogVM and the SqueakVM?

Levente