[squeak-dev] Re: About Configurations

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 18:03:11 UTC 2010

Let me make something clear: Andreas is in charge. I'm not trying to create
any conflict. I figure I have opinions and I'll put them out there. I'm
happy to have them rejected, OK? If this turns into something where we have
hostility, I'll just stop talking.

We all want a smaller image. There are two ways we can do that. We either
have a monolithic kernel which shrinks. Or we break the image into pieces.

The image Hannes has provided is of the GUI mockup I created a while ago.
The first two panes matter. The rest is just left over that could be used to
give information. We already know what Metacello configurations are. That's
what's listed in the second pane. So make Metacello configurations of core
material, such as Network, Compiler, Morphic. Break the core image down to
pieces except for a tiny rump core.

The BuildConfig pane on the left would be for lists. A BuildConfig would
just be a list of Metacello configurations. You'd see all configurations in
the second pane. Some could be deselected to customize the list. Then at the
bottom you'd have a button that said install.

You'd have one list for a Seaside image, one for Cobalt, one for Etoys, for
a server image with no GUI. They'd all be accomplished with lists of
Metacello configurations. The BuildConfig pane would just present a bunch of
lists of Metacello configurations. That's the idea.

And if you don't like it, I'm fine with that. But it is axiomatic that we
all want a smaller core Squeak.

Chris