[squeak-dev] Headless Linux squeak running max cpu

Rob Withers reefedjib at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 18 16:56:57 UTC 2010

I start the image with the following command:

setsid bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null echat-server.image
introducer.sq &

which runs it as a daemon, turns off display and sound, and runs a small
script that starts a listening socket.  The output from top, after running a
few minutes, is

  PID       USER      PR  NI  VIRT     RES  SHR   S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND
12557 vawhigso  20   0 1036m  42m 1276  S    23.4      0.3      0:28.32
squeak

There are 8 cpus, so we are getting time on more than one cpu.  Memory has
grown from 0.2 to 0.3 but doesn't seem to be growing ridiculously.  At some
point in time (several hours, I believe), squeak is no longer running.  I do
not know if this is because it runs out of memory, some other internal exit,
or the webhost kills it.   It looks like it is infinitely looping, but not
grabbing memory.   I expect it to idle at extremely low cpu.

What kinds of debugging tools can I use to see what it is doing?

Thanks,
Rob