[squeak-dev] Headless Linux squeak running max cpu

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Jul 18 19:42:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010, Rob Withers wrote:

> I start the image with the following command:
>
> setsid bin/squeak -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null echat-server.image
> introducer.sq &
>
> which runs it as a daemon, turns off display and sound, and runs a small
> script that starts a listening socket.  The output from top, after running a
> few minutes, is
>
> PID       USER      PR  NI  VIRT     RES  SHR   S  %CPU %MEM    TIME+
> COMMAND
> 12557 vawhigso  20   0 1036m  42m 1276  S    23.4      0.3      0:28.32
> squeak
>
> There are 8 cpus, so we are getting time on more than one cpu.  Memory has
> grown from 0.2 to 0.3 but doesn't seem to be growing ridiculously.  At some
> point in time (several hours, I believe), squeak is no longer running.  I do
> not know if this is because it runs out of memory, some other internal exit,
> or the webhost kills it.   It looks like it is infinitely looping, but not
> grabbing memory.   I expect it to idle at extremely low cpu.
>
> What kinds of debugging tools can I use to see what it is doing?

Install RFB (it's available on squeaksource). It will give full access to
the image. If you never used it, here are a few tips:
After installing the package, in the world menu select open..., then
RFB/VNC Server. In the connections submenu set an interactive password. It
doesn't have to be strong, since you'll tunnel your connection through
ssh. In the connections submenu disable "allow remote connections". In the
performance submenu set "allow ZRLE encoding" and disable "conserve
memory". Then start your server. Note that the tcp port is display number
+ 5900. So if you want your server to listen on 5901, then select display
number 1.

Squeak's RFB implementation is a bit picky, it won't accept connections
with certain client settings. For example it doesn't support other display
bitdepth than the image's depth. So if you're using RealVNC as a client,
then set the preferred encoding to ZRLE and select Full color (your image
probably uses 32-bits as depth). And make sure you turn off the "Render
cursor locally" option.

Levente