[squeak-dev] [ANN] DnsClient: More protocol fun

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Tue Jul 27 08:33:02 UTC 2010

On 2010/07/27 09:24, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Folks -
>
> I just finished another fun little protocol implementation. DnsClient is
> a client for DNS lookups of all sorts. Why implement the DNS protocol
> you ask? Well, because 1) it's fun, 2) it's educational, and 3) it's
> non-blocking. The latter is actually interesting, we've found that
> occasionally we get very long VM blocking due to synchronous name lookup
> performed in the Unix socket code.
>
> You can install DnsClient from Squeaksource:
>
> (Installer ss project: 'ar')
> install: 'DnsClient-Core'; "all the code"
> install: 'DnsClient-Tests'; "the tests"
> install: 'DnsClient-Hacks'. "use DnsClient when present"
>
> DnsClient should work well but beware that on Windows it will currently
> use the deefault fallback name servers (Google DNS and OpenDNS) since I
> still need to implement the primitive to return the proper resolv.conf
> content (which is spread out in the Windows registry). Consequently, if
> you're trying look up local names or if you are behind a firewall, these
> addresses will fail until I've implemented the primitive proper.

Nice!

So if one wanted to implement some of the stranger records - NAPTR
springs to mind - one would just hack DnsRecord>>readFrom: and add an
appropriate case, yes? (For NAPTR (RFC 2915) that's 35).

(SIP uses NAPTR records as part of its lookup mechanism, defined in RFC
3263 SIP: Locating SIP Servers.)

The attached OUGHT to do it. I don't know of any public servers that
user NAPTR *cough* and I'd need to look up local names to properly test
against my local test setup.

frank