[squeak-dev] Project Isolation: Is This Still a True Statement?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 02:29:59 UTC 2010

I thought we ripped out the project isolation stuff.

>From the lass comment for ChangeSet:

"For isolated projects (see Project class comment), the changeSet binding is
semi-permanent.  Every project exists in an isolation layer defined by its
closest enclosing parent (or itself) that is isolated.  If a project is not
isolated, then changes reported to its designated changeSet must also be
reported to the permanent changeSet for that layer, designated in the
isolated project.  This ensures that that outer project will be able to
revert all changes upon exit."

Is this statement still true (I don't think so?) Would folks be receptive to
my removing it from the comment?

While some charitable soul has added a note to the Project class comment
that isolation is not used anymore, I think having the large amount of cruft
in the comment is at best distracting, and at worst confusing. I'm thinking
I'd like to remove that stuff; older images which still use the mechanism
will still have the comment, and since we keep all the releases around
forever, we aren't at risk of losing the information for folks who want to
run an older Squeak.

What say the people of Squeak?

--
Casey Ransberger