[squeak-dev] SIP stack (was [ANN] DnsClient: More protocol fun)

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Wed Jul 28 08:10:22 UTC 2010

On 27. 07. 2010 11:34, Frank Shearar wrote:

> I'm not familiar with the term Computer Telephony Integration (CTI).

Main usage of a SIP (Session Initialization Protocol) nowadays is in IP
phones and one of the main selling points of the IP over classical
telephony is so called "convergence" between different means of
communication, and specially between telephony and computers.

Well, in reality so far it is more a selling point than much meat, but
there is a potential and the SIP protocol is essential part of the
convergence toolboox, that's why it is good to have a SIP protocol
implemented in Smalltalk.

CTI as a part of the convergence toolbox is essentially used for two
simple but very powerful things:

	1. notifying your application that someone is calling,
	2. calling by "one-click" from your application

Specially the first one is very important for systems like CRM (Customer
Relation Management). And because a big percentage of applications are
dealing directly or indirectly with customers, they have a need for a
CRM and therefore also for a CTI.

Most basic example: a customer calls you and his webpage is poped-up in
front of you to read past conversations with him in few seconds before
you pick-up the phone and start prepared the conversation with him.

The whole trick is in those few seconds and those seconds are essential
for a much much better income of such customer call. That's why the CTI
is so important and that's why it is important to be supported from our
Smalltalk apps too!

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek