[squeak-dev] Re: Bootstrap logic in recent Tweak-Core (?)

David Faught dave.faught at gmail.com
Fri Jul 30 12:07:31 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 3:10 PM, David Faught <dave.faught at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Option number 2 is what I used in the MockTurtle demo.  This project
>>> only used a code editor in the local proxy instead of tile scripting,
>>> and when the edit was accepted the script text was first locally
>>> syntax checked and then sent to the associated replicated object.
>>> This was actually lots of fun, but needed to have some "future"s
>>> handcoded in the edited source as I recall.  Some keystrokes in the
>>> harness directed to the target replicated object caused editing or
>>> script execution to start.  In my isolated testing, this worked just
>>> fine.
>
>>How did you deal with persistence and replication? One of the main
>>issues with the approach is having to include compiled methods in the
>>island snapshot. Or did you have an explicit "code sync" step before
>>replicating the island contents?
>
> I guess that I cheated by ignoring persistence and took a very simple
> minded approach.  By choice there were no compiled methods.  And yes,
> that limited its usefulness, but it was still lots of fun.  The
> locally edited code was sent to the target replicated object as a text
> string and the replicated object saved it in a single instance
> variable, so each replicated object could have exactly one script.
> When the target object was triggered to run the code, it essentially
> did a "doIt" on the string.  There wasn't anything more to it than
> that.

I never made any claims about this being a clever and elegant
implementation, but it worked and was lots of fun and interesting to
play with.  I found out some things I never knew before, such as how
to do recursion in a single "doIt" string.  It was a simple enough
case to experiment with some of the basic ideas.  And I haven't seen
or heard of anyone who has completed a similar or better version of
this, outside of some discussion of the concepts.  Here is my virtual
gauntlet being thrown to the floor.  I will gladly yield to anyone
with a serious challenge.