[squeak-dev] A couple of memory management related questions

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Tue Jun 15 21:44:57 UTC 2010

If people define classes by hand, I imagine 64k would be enough.  But
suppose they are using light-weight classes, i.e. giving each object
its own behavior.   Then it would be fairly easy to have more than 64K
of them, though 1M is still a reasonable limit.

What is the difference in cost between choosing 64K as the limit and
choosing 1M?  I know, one byte, but what else would you use that byte
for?

-Ralph