[squeak-dev] Nuking OldSocket, OldSimpleClientSocket and HTTPSocket

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 04:14:20 UTC 2010

On 17 June 2010 06:07, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi -
>
> I'm interested in doing a little assault on the aforementioned classes. The
> only reason for the existence of Old[SimpleClient]Socket is that they're
> superclasses of HTTPSocket which is a beast to get rid of since we need it
> for updating etc.
>
> However, with WebClient [1] at hand, we can convert HTTPSocket into a simple
> facade that just delegates everything to WebClient and in addition to having
> a better HTTP client implementation we could also get rid of these Old*
> classes.
>
> What do people think? Is there any value in preserving the Old* classes and
> HTTPSocket or should we try to take an end-run on the issue? Obviously,
> there will be some tricky updating involved so I'd like to get opinions
> beforehand.

Seems like a logical move, as to me.
This however makes WebClient to be a core part of image, since many
facilities, like MC using
http to connect with outer world.
I am not opposed to it, just have one question: how do you think it
should be maintained?
a) as an integral part of squeak-trunk
b) as a separate package

--