[squeak-dev] Re: Nuking OldSocket, OldSimpleClientSocket and HTTPSocket

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Fri Jun 18 07:47:59 UTC 2010

On 6/18/2010 12:29 AM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Ok. Since HTTPSocket will depend on WebClient, then how you plan to
> deal with it? Put its implementation
> into separate package or merge with WebClient?

Neither. I'm thinking of delegating from HTTPSocket to some other
implementation using a class var in HTTPSocket so that one can register
the HTTP client implementation with HTTPSocket when loading an
implementation such as WebClient.

I'm also starting to wonder if one couldn't retain an *extremely* simple
HTTPSocket implementation that doesn't deal with anything complicated
(i.e., no proxy support, no redirect, no auth, just the simplest
possible case) and have a more fully fledged client handle the more
complicated uses. (the idea is mainly to keep MC working for the
bootstrap cases where you can assume a simplified environment)

Cheers,
   - Andreas