[squeak-dev] Re: [fonc] Sketchpad? (off-topic)

Alan Kay alan.nemo at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 20 15:02:14 UTC 2010

Hi Carl

The bits for Sketchpad are still extant. Ivan has them.

Brian Silverman -- who has done a number of really good emulators of old machines to run old software -- has tried for some years to get enough information about the TX-2 from Wes Clark (and the Sketchpad bits) from Ivan to get Sketchpad running again. Quite a bit of Sketchpad was written in CORAL, a macroassembler created by Larry Roberts, etc.

The largest problem is that TX-2 was an experimental computer that was used to try out many ideas (every Thursday it would be in the province of the HW people for "modifications"). The TX-2 joke was that it was "the only computer that could run with 10% of its wires disconnected!". So the HW was a bit of a moving target compared to most computers.

The Flex Machine and the Alto (and all PARC HW) used microcode that ran quite a bit faster than main memory to get much of the flexibility needed for experimental computing -- this made the Alto a much easier machine to emulate (though there were also some major deeper modifications over the years).

Cheers,

Alan