[squeak-dev] Teleplace Cog VMs are now available

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Jun 21 16:27:15 UTC 2010

Eliot Miranda wrote on Sun, 20 Jun 2010 13:11:38 -0700

> it gives me great pleasure to announce that the Teleplace Cog VMs are now available.
>  Huge thanks to all at Teleplace who have given me the opportunity to build Cog and
> release it as open source, been willing guinea pigs braving its bugs, and providing
> indispensable participation in getting Cog to its current state.  Huge thanks are also
> due to the original Back To The Future team whose VMMaker Cog extends to write
> the VM, and to Peter Deutsch from whom I've taken many ideas.

Congratulations and thanks to Eliot and all involved!

One interesting use for this would be improving the performance of Etoys
on the old OLPC XO-1 machines currently in use by over one million
children around the world. The "few SSE2 instructions" mentioned in
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Geode_instruction_set might be a problem and
be a problem (though Andreas has suggested a way to deal with that). If
these obstacles can be overcome, however, it would avoid splitting the
OLPC community into early adopters and owners of shiny new XO-1.5,
XO-1.75 and XO-3 devices.

-- Jecel