[squeak-dev] Re: 0006721: Identity dictionarys sometimes can't find their keys

Jerome Peace peace_the_dreamer at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 1 00:54:29 UTC 2010

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Sun Feb 28 17:56:00 UTC 2010 replied:

>nil was always a valid key for Dictionary and IdentityDictionary. Sets
>were the collections which couldn't contain nil.

>Levente

Ha. I knew there was a good reason for having someone look over your shoulder as you program. I stand corrected.

Never the less, the tests were useful in finding bugs.

Even if 'nil' can be a legitimate key its presence is often the sign of a bug. The only instance my test found pointed to the initialization of GeeMailMorph being misplaced to UndefinedObject class. So even though I stumbled on to it with a mis-assumption the test found it. I think it's valuable to go looking, then note the legitimate exceptions in the test.

I would love to see my tests in the image and your test improvements as well. I am still looking for a MC savvy code partner to take over some of the driving.

Cheers --Jer

"Debugger's don't need exact knowledge as long at they have interesting tests and a willingness to learn."  --Fearless Bugtrackers secret codex