[squeak-dev] IMPORTANT: Election candidates!

Ian Trudel ian.trudel at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:29:02 UTC 2010

2010/3/1 Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com>:
> Ian,
>
> On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 4:26 PM, Ian Trudel <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you have an actual timeline approximation in regard to the
>> implementation of these ideas? I'd like to know what are your
>> priorities in term of documentation since it's a one-year mandate; not
>> everything will see the light of the day during that period of time.
>
> the mandate is not necessarily connected with getting a full set of
> documentation out the door. Creating, establishing, and fostering the
> infrastructure required to enabling the community to provide these
> elements is what I have in mind foremost. Obviously, I would try to
> contribute my share, but I think the board member's role (that is, as
> long they have that hat on) is more on the infrastructural side of
> things.

Yes, obviously. That's a bit politician talk though. :)

My concern in your list is that the priority seem to be focused on
entry level book(s). There are already existing work such as Squeak by
Example and Laser Game tutorial. They're good enough to get started.
On the other hand, the documentation inside Squeak may be more urgent.
There are comments and code self document but it's always up to the
point. There is a huge lack in term of the big picture and how to tie
what you learn from reading code. Sometimes it turns out a lot of code
reading to do very little.

>> It would be also interesting to know which media you will focus on
>> (e.g. wiki, inside squeak, etc)? Have you tried HelpSystem?
>
> I haven't (not *really*), but that is a good step in a sensible
> direction. As for other media, anything is imaginable, but I believe a
> Wiki (one that is kept up-to-date) would work very well, but also
> don't forget the screencasts and book.

Wiki doesn't seem to cut it so far and it's overly outdated; dragging
this to a decent point may be a considerable challenge (more than
starting over). My idea would be to focus on documentation inside
Squeak and develop a documentation system that can render help inside
and perhaps web friendly.

> Best,
>
> Michael

Thanks Michael!