[squeak-dev] IMPORTANT: Election candidates!

Michael Haupt mhaupt at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:50:30 UTC 2010

Hi Ian,

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Ian Trudel <ian.trudel at gmail.com> wrote:
>> the mandate is not necessarily connected with getting a full set of
>> documentation out the door. Creating, establishing, and fostering the
>> infrastructure required to enabling the community to provide these
>> elements is what I have in mind foremost. Obviously, I would try to
>> contribute my share, but I think the board member's role (that is, as
>> long they have that hat on) is more on the infrastructural side of
>> things.
>
> Yes, obviously. That's a bit politician talk though. :)

guess what. You read the note about having the board hat on, right?

> My concern in your list is that the priority seem to be focused on
> entry level book(s). There are already existing work such as Squeak by
> Example and Laser Game tutorial. They're good enough to get started.

You got me wrong there; I'm not about *this* level of entry. There is
a level between that of the Etoys target audience and (S/P)BE or laser
game adopters, and my idea of an intro book for children targets
precisely this level.

> On the other hand, the documentation inside Squeak may be more urgent.
> There are comments and code self document but it's always up to the
> point. There is a huge lack in term of the big picture and how to tie
> what you learn from reading code. Sometimes it turns out a lot of code
> reading to do very little.

You make my point.

> Wiki doesn't seem to cut it so far and it's overly outdated; dragging
> this to a decent point may be a considerable challenge (more than
> starting over). My idea would be to focus on documentation inside
> Squeak and develop a documentation system that can render help inside
> and perhaps web friendly.

Yes please.

Note that I'm not trying to promote concrete "do this" items as much
as "something needs to be done about this, what could that be and how
could the requirements be met".

Best,

Michael